E-prescribing for Controlled Substances FAQs
What is EPCS?
- EPCS (Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances)
- Brand-new, stand-alone product from DrFirst
- Gives physicians a simple, secure, certified and affordable way to send controlled-substance prescriptions electronically.
What can be prescribed through EPCS?
- Generally, schedule II – V drugs
- However, individual state laws dictate which drugs can be sent electronically
Are there any other solutions available to e-prescribe controlled substances?
DrFirst EPCS GoldSM 2.0 is the only certified system available to send controlled substances electronically*. Learn about the history of e-prescribing for controlled substances.
How will providers know which pharmacies accept EPCS's?
Within the Rcopia e-prescribing system there will be an indicator next to the pharmacy name if the pharmacy is certified to accept controlled substances electronically. A prescriber will also be able to search the pharmacy list for pharmacies who are authorized to receive the prescriptions.
What is the audit trail for EPCS?
All events and activities completed in EPCS Gold will be recorded including source type, signing events, Controlled Substance drug information, etc.
How does EPCS Gold work?
EPCS Gold provides a platform for providers to sign and send controlled substance prescriptions electronically through the Surescripts network. EPCS Gold includes:
- PROVIDER AUTHENTICATION AND REGISTRATION
The DEA requires TFAP (Two-Factor Authentication Protocol) for any provider who wants to send controlled substance prescriptions electronically. The provider authentication and registration process takes the provider step-by-step through the identity-proofing and authentication process and results in the activation of a hard token, providing the second factor of the TFAP requirements.
- EPCS Gold registration
- Provider authentication through third-party identity proofing process
- Two-factor authentication token
- EPCS SIGNING MODULE
The Signing Module allows prescribers to electronically sign and submit controlled substance prescriptions electronically. The signing module has the following features:
- Display of DEA-mandated content
- Two-factor authentication validation
- Generate digital signature for the prescription at the application level
- Audit log
Health Alliance Plan