RcopiaAC - Hospital System
Acute Care Medication Management
- Would your health system benefit from access to community patient medication history data?
- Does your hospital need a cost-effective, accurate, and efficient solution that facilitates the complex process of medication reconciliation and discharge prescribing?
- Do your patients expect a higher level of patient safety and care?
- Are you satisfying Joint Commission requirements in an economical way?
Learn more about RcopiaAC and other electronic prescription software solutions for the acute care environment from DrFirst below and fill out the form to view a free demo, or contact us or get a free quote.
The MedHx module of RcopiaAC provides ERs with valuable patient medication history in seconds, offering physicians a more complete picture of a patient's current medications.
The first and most critical step of medication reconciliation is compiling an accurate and detailed medication history list for the patient upon admission.
- Patient is a poor historian
- Caregiver has limited knowledge
- Incomplete documentation
- Manual procurement of medication history from multiple sources
RcopiaAC from DrFirst overcomes these challenges by:
- Compiling 12 months of medication history with the click of a button from more data sources than any other medication history service on the market, and displaying the results together on one screen
- Verifying medications for a patient who is unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate upon arrival, providing the ER with the most robust medication information possible
- Providing workflow improvements for clinicians by converting past medications into hospital medication orders
- Maximizing patient safety by checking medication claim history to include the patient's home medications during drug-drug and drug-allergy, as well as other conflict checks
When pulling a patient's medication history through electronic prescribing resources, the following information is displayed for printing, faxing, or transmission back to the hospital information system:
- Drug name and form
- Dispense quantity
- SIG information
- Prescriber's name
- Dates filled
- Source of information
The DischargeRx module of RcopiaAC brings the award-winning Rcopia e-prescribing system to the acute care environment. The DischargeRx module provides formulary and clinical error checking at the point-of-care and allows providers to send an electronic prescription to the patient's pharmacy of choice. DischargeRx allows hospitals to provide a higher level of patient service and safety by saving time and money through the efficiency of electronic medication orders and formulary checking.
Safe Secure Electronic Prescribing Upon Discharge
- Electronically submit outpatient prescriptions to retail and mail-order pharmacies during a patient visit or at discharge.
- Split prescription functionality unique to DischargeRx
- Enables prescription data to flow seamlessly to the outpatient pharmacy via Surescripts, the largest network provider of electronic prescribing services.
- Electronically fax prescriptions in cases where the outpatient pharmacy cannot accommodate direct EDI transmission.
- Electronically query a patient's prescription drug plan to ensure eligibility and check the insurance formulary for covered medications.
- If a medication is not covered, DischargeRx displays preferred drug alternatives as well as with prescription drug plan tiers. The provider can then easily select the most cost-efficient alternative medication.
- Maximizes patient safety by checking medication claim history to make the patient's home medications available during drug-drug and drug-allergy, as well as other conflict checkpoints.
"All scripts are e-signed by providers as a final check on accuracy before transmission or printing. Transmitting scripts to pharmacies eliminates one more chance for a transcription error. Medication reconciliation takes less time. Nurses can select meds from the claims history list with a single click instead of typing them into the med list. E-prescribing added no overhead to the process; in fact, the integrated formulary and eligibility functions eliminated the need for a standalone PDA application. NVRH systems are ready to qualify for "Meaningful Use" dollars in 2011."
CIO, VP of Information Services
Northeastern Vermont Regional Hospital
>View Case Study
"With the LSS Data Systems and DrFirst partnership, our physicians were able to benefit from an embedded industry-leading e-prescribing tool seamlessly integrated into our Medical and Practice Management Suite (MPM). Now new prescriptions and renewals are sent electronically through standards-based EDI to the patient's retail and mail-order pharmacy of choice. The system automatically checks for patient insurance eligibility, performs real-time formulary status checking, displays coverage limits and co-pays, suggests preferred drug alternatives, and presents the patient's medication claim history for easy medication reconciliation. We now can more quickly discuss and process the medication management process with patients upon the patient presenting to the clinic which has significantly helped the provider determine the critical path for patient care. The new process allows our providers and staff handling the patient to better manage the medication process."
Kim Tilley, MBA
HCIS Manager for Information Systems
Citizens Memorial Healthcare
>View Case Study
"Goodall decided to sponsor ambulatory E-prescribing licenses to our community providers. Our sponsorship of licenses gave the clinicians a useful tool that increased information at the point-of-care while decreasing time wasted in file pulls and renewal requests. In turn, our facility receives the most comprehensive medication history information available on the market. Patients, physician/providers, and clinical staff were all served by this patient safety initiative. For patients, the benefit is seen in the identification of medications and allergies that he/she is unable to report (unconscious) and/or remember at the encounter time. For Providers, it is a tool to help in the medication review process with their patients. The staff is served by having this information easily accessible and available for review in the HOSPITAL INFORMATION SYSTEM without having to learn multiple systems and passwords. Benefits are seen for patient safety by providing an additional source of information to caregivers for prescription history and allergy information. It is most beneficial for Emergency Department providers who otherwise would not have access to this information from primary care providers without EHR systems and/or unresponsive emergency patients. RcopiaAC provides potentially life-saving information and assists in avoiding adverse reactions."
Chief Information Officer and Vice President of Business Process Improvement
Henrietta D. Goodall Hospital
>View Case Study
Build Your Data
In order to have the most comprehensive patient medication history at the point-of-care, hospitals need to tap into all the available resources. Providing the most comprehensive data provides physicians with a complete understanding of a patient's medications and avoids costly, and potentially deadly, adverse drug events. Arming physicians with this information is a significant step in increasing patient safety.
Connected Communities - Proprietary Wide Area Patient Search (WAPS)
By purchasing Rcopia e-prescribing licenses for top admitting physicians in the community, hospitals can build a stronger connected community that feeds the hospital with data. The hospital's sponsorship of licenses gives physicians a useful tool that increases information at the point-of-care while decreasing time wasted in file pulls and renewal requests. Plus, the hospital's investment in patient safety and electronic prescribing can be highlighted in the community!
DrFirst queries the following data sources and compiles all of the results on one screen
- Pharmacy fill History
- Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) data
- All major payers connected through Caremark, Medco and ESI
- Medication information from the hospital's affiliated providers (via the sponsored licenses)
- Existing, DrFirst hosted, payer formularies
- Local payers not connected to Surescripts
- Nationwide network of Rcopia e-prescribing physicians
- DrFirst's certified EMR/EHR partner physicians
Acute Care Integration Partners
DrFirst is exclusively integrated within MEDITECH systems to create a comprehensive medication management solution. This functionality is designed to drive clinical excellence and enhance patient safety by providing access to a patient’s medication claim history during medication reconciliation, as well as the ability to send an electronic prescription to an outpatient pharmacy upon discharge. MEDITECH and DrFirst have also integrated beneficiary plan data for medication tiers into the Ambulatory Order Management prescription writing tool. The resulting enhanced CPOE process empowers physicians to select treatments which are both clinically and cost effective for their patients.
LSS Data Systems
To complement the capabilities available in the MEDITECH Physician Care Manager and Emergency Department solutions, LSS Data Systems (MEDITECH’s ambulatory partner) and DrFirst have developed corresponding e-prescribing capabilities in LSS’s Medical and Practice Management solution. This consistent approach ensures tight integration and minimizes the learning curve as providers move between the hospital and office environments.