E-prescribing of Controlled Substances for Physicians
Legally Send Electronic Prescriptions for Controlled Substances
Electronic prescribing of controlled substances was legalized at the national level in 2010 by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). The DEA modified its regulations and provided the regulatory framework to allow e-prescribing for Schedule II through Schedule V controlled drugs. Following that federal change, controlled substance e-prescribing has been legalized state by state. Today, providers in more than 40 states send controlled substance prescriptions electronically to thousands of pharmacies—including national chains like Rite-Aid, Walgreens, and CVS.
DrFirst worked closely with the DEA and Surescripts in 2010 to develop EPCS Gold℠ 2.0, which was the nation's first certified solution for e-prescribing controlled substances.
Benefits of E-prescribing Controlled Substances
- Reduce interruptions to practice workflow.
- Single process for distribution of legend and controlled substance prescriptions and renewal requests
- Practice Protection
- Reduce the risk of fraud and abuse: no paper prescription pads to be stolen or altered, prevents forgery
- Reduced wrongful death; malpractice; lawsuits
- Avoid patients who are doctor shopping
- Audit Trail
- Reporting tools in the event of an audit
- Trusted Security
- Compliant with DEA IFR Part 1311 and NIST-SP-800-63-1 Level 3 two-factor authentication and identity proofing requirements and process
- DEA IFR Part 1311: 3rd party audit approved
- Hard and/or soft token option
- Unique pin and e-signature for each transaction
- Secure transmission to pharmacy
- World class partnerships for IDP and IT security with Experian and Symantec
In addition, electronically prescribing controlled substances gives you the same benefits as legend drug e-prescribing, such as:
- Eliminating transcription errors
- Clinical alerts for drug and allergy interactions
- Clinical alerts for dosing and duplicate therapies
- Clinical alerts for conditions, such as pregnancy and breast feeding
- Instant access to patient formulary information
Complete the form above to schedule a no obligation demo of EPCS Gold 2.0.